Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Simple Things In Life

It is Saturday morning. The kids get up...they get us up...they want "bekfas", according to Titus. So, here I go on the journey to decide on what to have for breakfast. After going through all of the options we decide on pancakes. And not just any pancakes, they want Mickey Mouse Pancakes like Grandaddy makes. So, this is how our day started. The four of us enjoying pancakes, bacon, and eggs together.

After clearing the table and cleaning the kitchen I got a quick run in before we had to get dressed to go to Jordan's last soccer game of the season. This is our second season of soccer with him and OH MY GOODNESS!!!! How he has improved!!!! He made two goals today...two! We were down 3-2 and Jordan was going in for his last quarter of the game. As I was tucking in his shirt, I say to him, (in "non-competitive" soccer), "Son, we are down right now. This is your last chance to score. This is the last game. Now, go out there and kick that ball in!" "Okay Mom!"--with a quick thumbs up and great big smile. He starts for the middle of the field to join his teammates on the line. The next thing I know Jordan is scoring the tying goal and then the final goal of the game---giving us a last game win of 7-3. (Tim is proud to say we won 9 out of 10 games in his soccer coaching debut season!)

They say the simple things in life are the things you cherish most. I agree. Nothing could satisfy my boys this morning like Mickey Mouse pancakes. Nothing is more rewarding than watching your children start something, like soccer, and only improve at it as they go. When he kicked those goals in, (every mother that is reading this knows what I am talking about), it was as if he had just won the gold medal at the Olympics...pride swelled up in me as I leapt to my feet with excitement! Jordan's eyes scanning the sidelines to cross sight with me...to make sure I saw it...to make sure I knew how proud he was...and to find affirmation in me.

The blessings God gives us in the simple things in life. What a reward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the day we experience that!

Ty

Anonymous said...

omg! how freakin cool! i love the pep talk and then i got chill bumps when the story ended with his two goals! i swelled with pride too!