Friday, April 14, 2006

Friends

Okay, so I have got some great friends! There are so many Proverbs that speak to friendship. There is so much to be cherished. Friendship is a gift. We connect with different people in different ways. Certain personalities just fit. And that is where you find the best of friends.

Recently, I have experienced, once again, having a friend move away. I have been through this many times being the daughter of a preacher, and then the wife of one. You learn to live with it. People come and go. You come and go. But, it has been a long time, I guess 4 years now, since I have really dealt with this. You get close to someone. You become a part of their lives and them yours. You spend time together. You cook together. You shop together. You laugh together. You cry together. You watch movies. You feed husbands. You dress children. You deliver babies. You obsess over body fat. You work out. You eat. You eat some more. You work out some more. There are so many memories....the list just keeps going. And after the dust settles, that is what you have - the memories. These little nuggets that you hang onto and cherish as if a fragile slice of something that you guard so that no one can take it away. Friends who are separated is a hard situation in life. There is nothing fun about it. Except the memories. When we are left alone with our thoughts - this is when we start to enjoy our memories.

I have many friends who live here, who are a part of my daily life. I have friends who live far away, who may not be a part of my daily life, but are a part of me in other ways-blogs, text messaging, emails, phone calls. I count myself rich with blessing that I have been given the gift of friendship. So, thank you to God for the supporters in my life - the connections - the strength - the laughter - the memories - that I share with my friends. What a great life I have been given!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found out another one of our close friends here is moving. I fought hard not to cry. What is God doing? Why so many so close together? (5 families will be leaving in the near future) This is the kind of place people move into and settle. But alas, it is not. They are leaving. My heart continues to cry as I put on my happy face and wish them the best. Sure I understand. We have to do what is best, or required by jobs, or to be closer to those we need to be near...or where God is guiding us. But still it hurts to watch them leave. Yet, because God has been so faithful in the past, I know HE WILL fill those voids and I will continue to grow closer to others and have friends to visit in many different places. HE is such a wonderful friend and HE is always there.

Carrie Bourne said...

Mom, I am so glad you found my site....you have been through this so many times, haven't you? Does it ever get any easier to let go? I love you so much and I am so thankful for what you have taught me about what we do...

Sonya Terrell said...

Carrie, I count you as one of the best friends a girl could ever have! I love sharing life with you and know that God has blessed me with wonderful people like you!