Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Morning After Core

There it was. Evidence that something incredible had taken place over the weekend. Sunday morning, which just happens to be my favorite time of the week, was proof that the men of GM had experienced something intangible at the 2006 Men's Retreat -- CORE. The place was abuzz with electricity from the moment you walked in the door. The stage set with all men - on instruments and vocals - some for the very first time. The freedom I felt, that flooded the room, the inhibitive factors seemingly gone...liberating. It was as if all of us were one on one with the One to whom we were focused. The shackles of religion, the chains of embarrassment...no longer present.

This "fire" did not stop when the music stopped. As Tim got up to speak, this fervor continued. The passion with which his points were made, the involved story-telling, the way he fought back tears (he would not admit this, but we all saw it!), this was evidence that they all experienced what they hoped they would, what the creative team had prayed they would.

As the service came to a close and I stood at the back waiting to greet anyone who was there for the first time...I was in speechless awe at the sights I beheld. Here at the end of the service, with more music, the passion felt in worship was more powerful than it had been 30 minutes earlier. Hands in the air, voices belting out in unison..I could not speak or sing...for my heart was bursting with gratitude that I was able to witness this. That I was brought out of the comfort and chains of religion to a place where I and so many others experience God and our relationship with Him on a personal, intimate, liberating level. What an honor it is to be here....I can't imagine what is in store for us as a church and as individuals.....

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we could ask or imagine..." Ephesians 3:20

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome Carrie... brought tears to my eyes to read your detailed account of Sunday. Very good.

Anonymous said...

Brandon couldn't stop talking about this weekend or service on Sunday. It was wonderful to see him feel alive again. We've both really struggled with being lukewarm lately. Tim's message has stuck with me this week as well.

Sonya Terrell said...

Carrie, I felt all the same things(I also wrote about it in my blog). It was awesome seeing the passion on the faces of so many men that mean so much to me. We are truly blessed to have such great inspiring men in our church. I hope to add one to the group someday! :)