Friday, July 20, 2007

Dirt

So I was in my bathroom this morning, admiring the big mess I seem to make every time I get dressed. I say to Tim, "Wow, I sure wish the maid would come and clean this place up! It's disgusting in here!" He gives me a little laugh from the other room, knowing that I am the one who does the cleaning and that it is me who has left my place in the bathroom in such a disgusting state!

Now, the funny thing about me is that the rest of my house is pretty much in order. The places people see anyway. Any time we have a meeting or event at our house, I clean like crazy. Tim would probably even say I go overboard. But, the one place that does not get picked up/disinfected regularly is my bathroom/bedroom. That is the place that is always closed off to the public. But, anything that is seen, you better believe I am going to have it sparkling clean!

As I thought about this paradox in my life, it gave me cause to peer a little deeper. Isn't this the way I tend to be with who I am as a person? The things that people see - manners, attitudes, reactions - those things I clean up and make pleasant for people to look at. But, the things that are not seen - private reactions and attitudes, priorities, how my time is spent - those are the things that are easy to ignore because they are left unaccounted for.

My God has called me to transform from the inside out to be more like the image of his character. This means that I must submit even those things that are not seen by the public to be held accountable. I must put myself out there and give someone permission to hold me to God's standard. Even the most disgusting parts of me must be cleaned at some point. How long is too long to go without acknowledging that change/dusting/cleaning needs to take place?

Maybe if I opened my bedroom door when I open my home, I would feel compelled to make sure it is nice and neat. But, if I never let anyone in, never let them see, would I be proactive in picking up that dust rag or just let the dirt remain?

2 comments:

Patrick said...

i would just like to point out that this is one of the best things i've read in a while. great stuff.

Unknown said...

I am laughing because I ALWAYS think of YOUR bathroom when I look at mine. You and I both are like that with our bedrooms and bathrooms! I can remember your closet too. :) And I remember shutting your bedroom off when people were coming over. I guess that says something about our relationship a little. I saw the dirt and heaven knows you saw mine! :)

It's so amazing that you wrote this because I have been cleaning ALL DAY TODAY thinking about this very thing and how symbolic it is to my life and my spiritual journey.

I love you my friend. This is good.